The Brisbane Lions will travel down the M1 this Saturday to play the Gold Coast SUNS in the First Qualifying Final of the 2023 Smithy’s VFL Finals Series.
Entry to the game is free with the match also to be broadcast live and free on AFL.com.au and through the AFL Live Official App.
Brisbane Lions VFL Coach, Ben Hudson said his squad were looking forward to the challenge of playing in September.
“They’re a quality side who’ve finished at the top of the ladder this season,” he said.
“Last time we played, the SUNS beat us by three goals so we know we’ll have our work cut out for us.
“Playing Finals is like starting your season again.
“We’ve had a good run this year but the boys are up for the challenge.”
AFL Head of State League Competitions Jennie Loughnan said, “We are extremely excited for the 2023 Smithy’s VFL Finals Series to begin following last weekend’s inaugural Wildcard Round which saw the final two spots in the finals decided.
“This weekend’s action features four great matches and is a fantastic way to kick off this year’s finals series where the premiership race looks wide open.
“There are three matches in Melbourne, which includes two Victorian standalone clubs hosting home finals.
“We are equally pleased to have another final being played in Queensland, with the QClash between Gold Coast Suns and Brisbane Lions providing a great opportunity to continue to take the competition to a wider audience.
“On behalf of the AFL, I would like to thank all clubs, players, umpires, venues and our broadcast and commercial partners for their tremendous support of the Smithy’s VFL in 2023 and wish all eight clubs the best of luck for the finals.”
2023 Smithy’s VFL Finals Series
First Qualifying Final: Gold Coast Suns (1st) vs. Brisbane Lions (4th)
Heritage Bank Stadium, 6:05pm AEST, Saturday 2 September
- For all other matches through to the preliminary finals, admission prices will be adults $15, concession/pensioners $10 and children under 15 free.
- For the 2023 Smithy’s VFL Grand Final, admission prices will be adults $20, concession/pensioners $15 and children under 15 free.
- The AFL is pleased to confirm that seven matches in the 2023 Smithy’s VFL Finals Series and Wildcard Round will be broadcast live and free on the Seven Network via Channel 7 and 7plus, including the 2023 Smithy’s VFL Grand Final.
- Viewers outside of Victoria can tune in to Seven’s VFL coverage via 7plus.
- This week's Seven Network broadcast matches will be Footscray Bulldogs vs Casey Demons and Williamstown vs Collingwood on Saturday.
- All matches, including the 2023 Smithy’s VFL Grand Final, will be streamed live and free on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App.
- The 2023 Smithy’s VFL season featured 21 teams who each played 18 matches across a 22-round fixture.
- Casey Demons are the reigning premiers after defeating the Southport Sharks by 32 points in the 2022 Smithy’s VFL Grand Final.